Hey fam, happy Monday! On Saturday, I did a super long Insta story on my weekly grocery trip, what I bought, etc. There was a LOT of info, so I thought it would be helpful for you guys to have a blog post to reference for your own grocery shopping! Also, download your paleo shopping list PDF (totally for free, don’t need to give me your email or anything), keep it on your phone, and take it with you.
So today we are talking Paleo again. You guys really liked the last Paleo post and so did I.
brief backstory on why I like paleo
A brief backstory on my food journey… I have always been active and I’ve always eaten semi right. I’ve never been overweight in my life, but that pesky 10 to 15 extra pounds definitely fluctuates up-and-down.
In the past, I thought, “If I go really hard on working out, I’ll lose weight and stay skinny.”
I would do Orange Theory, spinning, all the really heavy cardio stuff. Then, I will go through phases where I would go really hard with like weights. Long story short, none of this was really helping me keep weight off permanently. Last September, I went to Germany for a work trip. One of the guys that I was traveling with was just starting to do the Paleo diet.
He gave me an extra book he had, and I read the whole thing on the trip. As soon as I got back from Germany, I went hard on the Paleo for two weeks.
No joke – I have never felt so fit or less bloated in my entire life. And best of all… I was not hungry, I was not sick, and I wasn’t eating gross foods. I actually started craving things like eggs and salmon and avocado, instead of Lucky Charms and chocolate chip cookies.
YES: any meats + veggies + fruits / / chicken, pork, beef, turkey, salmon, tuna, shrimp, oysters, scallops, etc. / / broccoli, carrots, kale, spinach, onions, peppers, zucchini, etc. / / blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc.
NO: no high-processed meats like hot dogs, no dairy, no fruit juices, no candy/sweets, no fruit juice, no grains (cereal, oatmeal, quinoa, bread), no legumes (any kind of beans), artificial sweeteners, potatoes or sweet potatoes, soda, alcohol, energy drinks
more details –> here
key tricks for sticking to Paleo
♡ 1. Having the right foods on hand – this is such a cliché but I swear… If I do not have the right food at my fingertips, I will eat badly. Every time.
♡ 2. Being flexible when you can – one thing that always makes me ditch a diet or lifestyle eating change is if I make it too impossible on myself. I work in PR, so I have crazy days and sometimes super weird hours. I might have a solid meal plan for the day, and then a crisis happens, and all that goes out the window.
I try to make the best choices possible while being flexible for my life. For example, if I have to stay late at work, I can’t just not eat. So I will get Panera. And I’ll get a Green Goddess salad with dressing on the side, which is just chicken, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, and avocado.
Like technically technically, is that a perfect Paleo meal? No, the green goddess dressing is definitely not Paleo. But is it better than me grabbing pretzels from the snack bar? Absolutely.
♡ 3. Get OK with paying more for food – the Catch-22 of America is that eating healthy is actually more expensive. So yes, it’s super easy to get McDonald’s for a dollar versus getting grilled chicken or salmon from somewhere for $10.
The way I rationalize this in my mind is this – I noticed the most changes in my body when I eat right. If I eat right, I don’t have to worry so much about working out. So I save money on gym memberships and workout classes because eating right keeps me nice and toned.
That’s just how my body works.
♡ 4. Get OK with online shopping – I get it, Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s can be hard to find and expensive. And Publix just doesn’t have some of the stuff that eating Paleo needs. So, use Amazon. I buy a lot of dry goods and pantry staples there.
if you’re serious about Paleo, check out this book
To really get started, I think you need to read one thing and one thing only. This book.
It’s $7 on Amazon and it’s so so worth it. I literally bring it to the grocery store with me like a weirdo (here)
I love this book because it is true Paleo. A lot of things that you read on Pinterest or other blogs just simply aren’t correct. So I get my recipes with the ingredients only listed in this book; plus it inspired my Paleo shopping list PDF.
enough nonsense, let’s go
Disclaimer: this might seem like a lot of food, but 1. I shop for 2 people and 2. I eat a LOT of food. Paleo has no restrictions on portions or amount of food, which I love. I never have to be hungry AND I eat all the time AND I lose weight.
If you’re impatient, just download the paleo shopping list PDF now –> here
♡ pantry staples
- coconut milk unsweetened
- avocado oil (love this one + super cheap → here)
- pink Himalayan salt
- all-natural honey
- coconut aminos (your substitute for soy sauce)
- apple cider vinegar
- minced garlic
- bone broth (LOVE this one → here)
- lime juice
- lemon juice
- spices: paprika, pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper, thyme, curry powder, etc.
- 2 lb lean ground turkey
- 2 lb lean beef tips
- 2 lb free-range chicken tenders
- free-range eggs
- 1 lb salmon
- smoked salmon
- frozen salad shrimp
- 3-4 avocados
- pre-made organic stir fry mix (broccoli, carrots)
- red onions/yellow onions
- 2 packages of bella mushrooms
- portabella caps
- bean sprouts
- organic blueberries
- any other organic fruit you want (try to stick with berries, though, for antioxidants + the least amount of sugar)
- organic cacao goji power snacks (cheapest on Amazon → here)
- organic blueberry hemp power snack (Amazon → here)
- organic coffee cocoa power snack (Amazon → here)
- hazelnut coconut milk creamer (this one is bomb –> here)
- ground coffee (love this one from Hawaii → here )
- rx bars (blueberry, mixed berry are my fave / they’re the cheapest in bulk on Amazon –> here)
- Suja probiotic juices
- paleo sauces – make your life a little easier w/ premade sauces. Just look at the ingredients and make sure they’re all ONE thing (for example, for a mushroom tomato sauce: organic tomato paste, organic tomatoes, organic onion, organic, mushroom)
Read 5 Healthy Paleo Snacks On The Go –> here
what this grocery plan makes me
- coffee w/ coconut milk creamer
- hard boiled eggs w/ avocado
- scrambled eggs w/ smoked salmon
- ground turkey w/ onions, mushrooms, paleo mushroom sauce (kind of like spaghetti and meatballs, minus the spaghetti…and meatballs)
- zucchini noodles w/ onions, mushrooms, paleo mushroom sauce (okay this is like spaghetti + meatballs)
- salmon w/ broccoli + carrots
- stuffed portabella caps w/ ground turkey + kale
- cold shrimp salad w/ onions, avocado (recipe here)
- beef stir fry w/ broccoli, carrots, bean sprouts
- coconut curry chicken tenders
As you can see, there’s a LOT of meals you can create when you have a grocery list like this. I also love that you’re not eating the same thing every.single.day. because I get real tired of stuff real fast.
paleo shopping list PDF
So, now for your Paleo shopping list PDF. Just download it here, screenshot it, and keep it on your phone.
Let’s be real, I’m never going to remember to print something out, and then I’m probably going to lose it before I go to the store anyway.
This paleo shopping list PDF is a simple, easy breakdown of what to buy. Edit as as you need – the overall principal is just MEATS, VEGGIES, FRUITS, SOME NUTS.
NO DAIRY, BREAD, SUGAR.
Paleo shopping list –> download here
okay, that was a lot
I know that was a ton of info. But I hope it was helpful! DM on Insta or comment below with any questions.
Let me know your thoughts on the Paleo shopping list PDF and how I can make it better for you guys. Alright fam, I’m starving now so off to dog park it and then eat.
For more fun paleo recipes, follow me on Insta –> here